Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Classroom Economy

Susanna is visiting her sister, a first year teacher.  Susanna makes good art.  Myself, I can't cut a straight line or rubber cement anything in the right place.  But Susanna has a great eye and steady hands and the vision to create beautiful artwork.  I thought she might be able to contribute a bulletin board for the classroom.  Sure enough, it's just midday of the first day of a two day visit and she's already made this wall display.  She's good!

Long ago in high school, Ilana was struggling to draw a map of New Jersey and Susanna was really stuck trying to write a paragraph about a cell.  Finally, Susanna pushed Ilana aside "Move over!  I'm drawing that map!" she loudly declared.  Ilana went and easily turned out the cell paragraph.  I suggested a concept of "Family Homework,."  As usual, Susanna objected until I explained that everybody would do what they were good at, Susanna could draw things and Ilana could write.  Susanna loved that.  I'm sure it didn't conform with contemporary educational objectives but isn't that how it works in the real world?

No comments: