Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Nothing you write is wasted

Most every writer I know has a first book that's sitting in their drawer.  Never made it into print.  Of course, these days, for quite a small price, you can turn anything you darn well want into a printed book.  I've done it (Maier Zunder) and others too.

Ain't it grand?

But, as I've learned, nothing you write is really wasted.  Lots of times, you can take parts of it and turn it into something else.  Especially in the memoir business.  I'm writing (and rewriting) lots of short pieces about Parent Group.  I have blind faith that these will coalesce into something useful.

Anything you write can be used for something.  Actually, I have lots I've written on this blog that I could expand upon.

Maybe.

The idea that I will use all this for something (and I have plenty in the drawer) takes an optimistic view of the future; that you will have loads of time to work and rework your writing into something useful and rewarding.

Either that, or your family will just throw it all in the trash when you die.  That goes for stuff stored digitially.  I have a friend with no children.  All her pictures are on her computer.  I mused that so much is lost with all of the pictures stored on computer.  "Nah," she told me, "it will make the disposal so easy when I die, poof all gone."

She has a point.

No comments: