Friday, April 12, 2013

Photoessay #2846 - Plausible Deniability

I can write about these forbidden subjects such as Nazis, Hitler, etc as I'm taking a class on the Holocaust at UW.  I've also done some extra reading; I keep coming back to Hannah Arendt's "Eichmann in Jerusalem".

So I'm wondering, did Hitler endeavor to have Plausible Deniability?  Remember that Reagan strategy that if you could prove that you didn't know it at a certain point, then you couldn't be held responsible?

In Hannah Arendt's book, she talks about how Eichmann had to embrace, in fact had to swear to special language.  If you were in the Nazi inner circle, you never used the words 'Extermination", "Liquidation" or "Killing."  Instead the code words for the killing were "final solution," "evacuation," "deportation,"" resettlement," "change of residence," and "labor in the east."  Apparently Hitler did not allow anyone to talk about killing Jews in his presence.  Hitler was not present at the Wannsea conference in 1942 where the "final solution" plan was presented and accepted.  Apparently that meeting was not much more than an hour.

So I wondered, did Hitler expect to use "plausible deniability" in the end?  That he was innocent of the genocide?  Even though the actual engineers of the 'final solution' felt strongly that they were loyally serving their fuhrer.

Interesting juxtaposition of Reagan and Hitler.  Not nearly the same.  And, of course, it didn't work in the end.  In fact, he never had the chance to use it.

This was not presented in my class, I just made it up.

The young professor gives wonderful passionate lectures.  I'm sad that I will miss three lectures.

I stole this picture from a tumblr site.  Disturbing image for a disturbing topic.  It's labeled "Vulpes Inculta by ~saeryph

No comments: