Saturday, March 26, 2011

Photoessay #1245 - Shatilas



Last night, Ilana insisted on going to this dessert place. Far away, really far away like 30 miles far away. OK, OK, we're on vacation. So off we go in my mom's Buick off to Dearborn, yup Dearborn, to a middle eastern neighborhood with local businesses with signs in Arabic. I'm dubious.

Until we get to Shatila's, a local bakery with mountains of french and middle-eastern pastries. More than you can imagine. Lots of local muslim families here for an evening out. It's hard to navigate how this is all supposed to work and I'm sure being outsiders doesn't help. The french pastries are great but I can get those elsewhere, it's all the mid-eastern things I'm interested in. You take a number, they call it and you are supposed to know what you want RIGHT NOW. Even though, you really have no idea what it all was. A lot of noise and the person behind the counter wants to know what your order is even though they really can't hear you or see what you are pointing to. And you're guessing anyway.

But, yum, it's all fabulous and so inexpensive, you must go back for some more. I bought three pastries, the cost? $1.69. A cylindrical thing stuffed with cashews, a diamond thing stuffed with walnuts and a chocolate almond something. All great.

They've got mail order, reasonably priced too! I'm supposed to bring treat on Tuesday, I would order half a tray but the super express shipping is too high. Another time, though!

Pictures show a tray of some goodies and Dennis and Ilana in the dining room.

No comments: