Thursday, March 10, 2011

Photoessay #1230 - We all looked better then....


I've been doing this big giant picture project. At least dragging everything out and separating it out by year. Hundreds, thousands of shots. For Dennis and I, when we look at an old picture, we invariably say "Wow, look how much thinner I was then! Look how much more hair we had then! Hey, I didn't look half bad there:" Compared to now.

Dennis points out glumly. "We all might like how we looked thirty years ago. In another thirty years, it's not going to get any better". Uh, right, probably, don't want to admit that.

So we'll look at a picture from back in the day. My brother's first wedding. I've been trying to figure the year. 1979? 1980? 1981? It was Before Kids. An informal wedding in somebody's backyard in Orange County, California. They had a piano because some friend was moving it that day and they stopped with the piano in transit and then brought it to it's destination. I also remember that the chicken salad was likely left out in the sun too long and a bunch of the bridal party got sick. Charles Ginsburgh married Corliss Rupp. She immediately decamped to Chicago to start medical school. The marriage did not last too long.

A picture of the 'groom's side'. Front row,

My mother Claire Ginsburgh
My father Al Ginsburgh
My aunt Elgie Ginsburgh
My grandmother Betty Ginsburgh
My grandfather Harold Ginsburgh

All but my aunt have passed away.

In the second row, Victoria (who we will see maybe in a few weeks) is wearing the straw hat. Some forgotten boyfriend next to her. Then me in indian-style dress with a brown bodice wearing the cameo necklace. The chair next to me is empty. I'm sure Dennis is there but he's taking the picture!

Yup, we all looked better then. My grandfather is clearly attending in obligation. He likely thought the backyard venue was NOT appropriate and I don't think he was very supportive of the whole darn thing. But he came, yes he did. He didn't have to like it but he came!

2 comments:

Matt Asay said...

That's Victoria? I would have sworn it was Lanaya!!

azure said...

no, it's Victoria...but it was a long time ago....