Saturday, February 5, 2011

Photoessay #1197 - Jewish coffee



This morning Dennis mentioned that he was drinking the Jewish coffee I had brought back from the Big Island.

Jewish coffee?

When my sibs and I took a trip to Hawaii last December, we attended a Chanukah party with my cousin and her husband. With all the dancing. At Keauhou Resort. We chatted with an older (but not by much!) couple at our table. They had a small coffee farm up in the hills. They grow and roast their own coffee overlooking Keauhou Bay. Jenine Boido told me that she sold the coffee at the farmer's market on Saturday morning at the Keauhou shopping center.

Keauhou resort is located on the land of an ancient Hawaiian community peopled by royalty. Looks like a typical nice shoreline hotel resort and grounds. But it also contains sacred land and two heiau or ruins of Hawaiian sacred temples. The grounds were apparently open to the community. "No problem," people told me, "you can go there". The two heiau were in the process of being restored, right on the ocean among the tidepools. You could park and enjoy the grounds. I remember a pond surrounded by beautiful tropical trees and colorful birds. Now I see that pond was a special bathing pond used by the Hawaiian royalty.

So that became part of our agenda. We had to remember to go buy Jewish coffee on Saturday. And so we did. She was so surprised that we actually came buy and bought coffee. She is likely telling us more about the Keauhou resort site. Also quite pleased "I did very well today", she told us.

No comments: