Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Photoessay #1193 - The big storm


The big blizzard starting in the center of the country and moving northeast into the midwest and beyond. It's the big news today. In the past, I would be concerned about my parents. Though they alway had a pretty secure situation. I would always look for the weather forecast in Rockford, IL. Maybe I'd call to make sure that they were ok. And they were. But now there's nobody in Rockford. It's weird and sad. Never thought I would miss Rockford ...

I knew my sibs are in the path of the storm. But they are used to it. It didn't take until half way through the day (ok, I'm slow) that I realized that my KID is there. Ilana's in Ann Arbor. Whoa, whoa, maybe I better pay attention. Just talked to her, she says the snow is supposed to start around 7pm (4pm my time). She had a discussion section until 7. Should she go? Supposed to be a School of Information gathering afterward at some dollar burger place. Should she go? What about their furnace. Some problem with the boiler, several repair people have come to look at it but the landlord had not decided what to do.

She's on campus now, was going to hang around for her discussion section.

My sister works at Purdue in Lafayette IN. Purdue closed down today but Ilana says the University of Michigan hasn't closed down since 1978 due to weather conditions.

Sunny weather, 42 degrees here in Seattle.....

So, I tried layers in photoshop for today's illustration. Maps for the second day in a row. Map cribbed without permission from the Weather Channel. I tried to label where my daughter, brother and sister are in relation to the storm. With limmited success. I managed to put the labels in a layer but I can's seem to move or erase them. Finally decided that I had to use 'flatten' before I could save it as a .jpg. Not a stellar job of labeling......

No comments: