Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Photoessay #1188 - My grandparents on cruise in Split


I found this picture in the mountains of snapshots I have. My grandmother put the date and place on the back of the photo. What a concept. I hardly ever do it yet I am so grateful when others do.

My grandparents, Harold and Betty Ginsburgh at the Ivan Mestrovic Palace in Split. Jugoslavia is written on the back of the photo, the city is now in Croatia. This noted artist (I admit I had never heard of him before) built this palace in the 1930s, it now belongs to the Croatian government and is used as a gallery for his works. The artist himself emigrated to the US and taught at Notre Dame University.

My grandparents are in their mid 60s in this shot on a cruise. I have another shot of them sitting in the ship's dining room in Haifa harbor celebrating my grandmother's birthday with cake and champagne. My grandfather looks very pleased in that picture.

But here they sightsee in August 1964. My grandmother, slim and coiffed in one of her many woolen sweater suits that I remember. With appropriate jewelry, shoes,purse and hose. My grandfather in his usual shirt, coat, tie and hat. I know that people usually don't dress like this on a sightseeing tour. My grandmother is about six years older than I am now. I can tell you, I've never looked this good.

My grandparents traveled quite a bit during this period of their lives. Just as Dennis and I will now (though likely not to this extant). Once, she brought me back a gold and coral bracelet from Italy though generally I did not receive gifts from their trips. I've seen that bracelet recently, maybe I gave it to Naomi....

No comments: