Monday, January 24, 2011

Photoessay #1186 - Klezmer on Whidbey


Last night, Grandma Ann invited Dennis and I to the opening of a new exhibit of Jewish run businesses on Whidbey Island complete with a performance by the University of Washington Klezmer Band. Didn't know that UW had one? Well it's a new thing and they were quite pleased to perform. Picture during performance. Not sure that banjos and cellos are usually in klezmer but it worked fine. They had the accordion and trombone and lots of clarinets.

Beautiful theater, amazing that the small town of Lanley can support it. And they're expanding it too!

There were stories of Jewish owned businesses. "Of course", laughed Dennis, "why didn't I think of it?" as he saw the exhibit of Kaplan Paper with a picture of a young Leon Kaplan. He worked for Leon from 1980-83 (approx)

Thanks to Grandma Anne for the soup and salad before the reception. I got up and danced which probably was not the best but I did it anyway.

I was in the middle of writing this this afternoon when I heard the familiar boom of a transformer exploding and we lost our power for nearly 4 hours. I hate that.

And Dennis went over to the Eng's household and finally fixed up the router and computer so the laptop we gave to Melina and her family now can use the internet.

No comments: