Sunday, January 23, 2011

Photoessay #1185 - 2007 Keiki Beach


I am becoming more determined to take the pictures I have gathered up, plus the slides, including the photo albums inherited from my parents and Dennis' parents and construct family photo albums for each of my 4 children.

Big job, I almost bought some photo albums at Coscto today but they really restrict you to 4x6 photos. Most will be that size but I want more flexibility.

I looked through some of the jillions of photos, looking for something to catch my eye. This one did, I thought it might be Charl in the background but when I scanned the photo and looked closely, nope, not even close. A younger surfer guy.

This is from the 2007 trip that we talk to Hawaii to watch softball with Charlie and Uncle Alan. At the end of the trip, we went to the north shore of Oahu and stayed at a modest place I had heard about at Keiki Beach. We loved the place, very reasonable and homey. I'm taking this shot from the back of the beach, you can see the trunk of the palm tree in the upper right. Actually I took down the contrast and the saturation in this shot. They say the surf is rough and they are NOT kidding. Keiki Beach is only a mile or two from Waimea Bay where they have the big winter surfing contests. Those waves (taken in Feb) look at least six feet and look how rough and sharp the surf looks. Those little signs say, don't go into the water because of heavy surf and undertow.

At one point I just stood where the waves were just coming in over my feet. A huge wave came up and knocked me completely over. Charl had to run and pull me out of the surf. I was wearing his flip flops too which were lost in the melee. We couldn't believe it but he found one down the beach that evening and the other washed up the next day.

He had to pull me out of the surf this trip too as we were making a feeble effort to learn to snorkle.

No comments: