Monday, January 3, 2011

Photoessay #1165 - I found the 70s!


We had quite a handsome antique china cabinet from Dennis' parents household when we broke it up. Stuck in a small bedroom upstairs, I kind of had plans to concentrate pictures there. But it was really underused and in the way. My brother and sister in law Dave and Lureen live in a modest house that they've fixed up nicely. But Lureen has nowhere to display her grandmother's china. It really belonged where it could be used. We offered it to them at Thanksgiving and they picked it up today. Which meant I had to get my stuff out of there. I actually just transfered all of those miscelanneous boxes and envelopes and frames of pictures into the unused drawers of my father in laws old slant top desk (also an antique, I'm sure).

And found the envelope of the 70s. Those pre-kid times.

This photo actually dates from 1981. We wanted to build a family and the usual stuff wasn't working (it did later big time but that's another story). So we made some pretty silly attempts at independent adoption before settling with WACAP. This picture was to be part of a notebook designed for potential birthmothers. We're supposed to look wholesome and capable. Piano, you know, cultural activities. Our pets of the time Winnie (who turned out to be a fear-biter) and Eleanor the cat. I know I was wearing a suit jacket with my cords, why did I do that?

Anyway, as always, we were thinner and had more hair. Looking back, these efforts seem kind of ludicrous.

We stil have the piano and the piano lamp, don't have those decoys any more. I remember that wicker duck thing, have no idea where that is. Taken in our small rambler that we sold in 1987.

We look like we would be good parents, don't you think?

Wonder what the Sandy in this picture would have thought if she knew we would have 4 kids in seven years???

No comments: