Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Photoessay #1159 - Happy Birthday Susanna!



Today Susanna celebrates her 26th birthday. Happy Birthday! We're going to an Indian restaurant for dinner. Ilana (woth boyfriend Matt) and Naomi will be with us.

I was looking for some capital gains numbers in my file cabinet (didn't find them) but looked at all of the high school press clippings that I had kept for Susanna. Somehow, I thought that every time she appeared in the local papers, I should have at leas 10 copies. Why? You can send one to grandma. Susanna used some for her notebook she made to send to Korea. You can show them around if you want. But why did I think I needed so many? They take a ton of room in the file cabinet so I thought, I will save one copy of each one and toss the rest. Some I had to keep several copies because they are so great. Luckily Susanna is over here so I have the opportunity to give the rest to her.

She never did read her own press. Because of her charisma and presence, she was often the player featured. And interviewed. This is all high school stuff (but it continued in college), I remember so clearly Charlie Laughtland from the local paper quietly coming up to her after a game and saying "Have a minute, Suzie?"

The first photo used without permission from the Everett Herald, from 2001 came after Shorecrest defeated Marysville in the semifinals of the 4A state tournament. Susanna, the shortstop, jumped into pitcher Kristina Thorson's arms after the winning pitch. A split second later, the rest of the team will pile on top of them. They would win the state championship later that day. As my readers surely know, Susanna had a successful all conference playing career with the University of Oregon. Kristina would become an All American pitcher at Cal (UC Berkeley).

The second shot shows Susanna leading cheers during the 3A state championship game in 2002. They would lose that game to Hanford 6-5. Used without permission from the Seattle Times.

It's so hard to get rid of the extra copies!

No comments: