Monday, November 15, 2010

Photoessay #1116 - Citrus Rice


Some years ago, my friends JJ & Steve visited on their way to Canada. They have a restricted diet. Vegetarian, no wheat, no dairy. So, it was a challenge. I found this great citrus rice recipe that has orange, lemon, lime rind and hazel nuts. Takes a lot of grating. Just by chance, I paired with cranberry sauce. The greatest!! Very dressy and tasty, a winner recipe.

Several times, I've thought about that recipe, wish I had kept it. But, in looking for a pumpkin praline pie recipe in my old recipe box (which I didn't locate), I found it! And made it! Just as good as I remembered it. Really the dish when you are called to prepare for people on restricted diet.

Considered taking it to writing class as I have 'snack' this week. But, really a lot of trouble. Mostly the carrying, I would have to get some heavy dishes up the stairs from Central Parking and walk quite a ways across campus. Plus the preparation of 'two dinners'. So, I'm going to my fallback of chocolate chip cookies. Plus some real big grapes I bought on sale at the local grocery.

I had it figured out using a rolling suitcase but who's going to complain about CCCs?

But I will make it again and take a picture this time.

I also made a pumpkin praline pie from an internet recipe.

As I was cooking, wo things struck me. That I used quite a few very simple cooking tools, I likely got from my mother or grandmother...not fancy machines

hand grater
nut chopper
hand juicer

Also, my ingredients are so darn pretty, check out all that citrus rind and that brilliant juice!

No comments: