Saturday, October 9, 2010

Photoessay #1079 - Sporting weekend


I'm right in the middle of it now. Check out my event staff shirt collection. Last night I worked the UW/WSU volleyball game. Uniform is the purple shirt with black pants. They check out this tan vest to wear over it. Why? I don't know. I also had an apron with large pockets. I was a ticket taker at the north door. OK, new skill. Old dog learning new tricks. It's tough to learn new things! A ticket taker doesn't get to see the game, no big deal. Takes some small motor skills to tear off the stub of the ticket, heck, to find the small stub of the ticket. Plus there were white cards and gold cards and people who bought tickets online and tickets bought at the door. I had to keep track of the people coming in with the passes with a counter. Plus olympic sports passes. Two experienced ticket taker gentlemen helped me. One guy was totally in charge of the students, who get in free with their ID. He liked welcoming them loudly, figured out where to send them.

Large crowd for the regional matchup. Nationally ranked UW had a hard time in the first game but then apparently cruised through in three games. The event people were pleased with the attendance of 3865 (largest this year), even more pleased with the 717 students. Those numbers were partially calculated with our counters and passes.

I scored the purple shirt out of it. Oh, probably you are going to work some more inside sports, they told me. So just keep it. On my feet for 3.5 hours. I really traveled light last night. Had the carkey and $10 in my pocket plus some pain medication and a baggie of trail mix. Sweatshirt and that's IT. I would like to travel equally light today. But I can't see how I could get out of bringing a rain jacket and/or umbrella for the walk back to the car.

But today, like pretty soon now, I have to work the UW/ASU football game. It's been moved to a night game because of TV. Plus it's supposed to rain like heck. But it's warm. Temp shouldn't drop much 60 degrees. So hard to figure out what to bring. They have rain coats that they issue each game. Rumor control has it that these new coats aren't really waterproof. I can stay inside my tunnel much of the time. For football games you wear the yellow shirt (think I'll wear a long sleeve turtleneck under it and khaki pants. I've not yet scored a UW hat, still have dorky neon green one for the deal where you collect the bottles in the third quarter.

Hope I can make it through it!

No comments: