Monday, September 27, 2010

Photoessay #1067 - 1970s Flash


Wow, one of those topics that lay fallow, just underneath the surface until ... flash! ... you see it. The topics that you could cover in so so many ways. And looking around and just reflecting a short time, even more clearly, what I need to do is to get in touch with FLASH!

Flash Rosenberg, my second cousin, is a performance artist in New York City. Some bio information fresh from the internet. And some recent work.

And I, too busy with all of this and that, have not kept up with her. Though I did watch President Nixon's resignation with her in an art studio at the University of Delaware (1974 in case anybody cared). And I'm maybe remembering that she came to visit me when I was in college at UCSC.

I remember thinking at the time "How can anybody possibly be so smart, talented, funny, beautiful and nice as my cousin Susie??" I still wonder that....

Maybe seven or eight years ago, Ilana visited her with my cousin Mary Ann and other family members in New York City and Flash took them on a wild tour of Soho featuring multiple lady's rooms. Ilana (in high school) loved the whole thing. She told me that she wanted to stay with Flash in her apartment, she would be glad to sleep on the couch. Flash (nee Susan) got her humor from her father David, who I remember from infrequent childhood trips 'back east' as the funniest man I had ever seen.

But back to the image. Flash (before she was Flash) must have had an art show in Delaware in the mid 1970s and my parents went and (gasp!) actually bought a piece of art which always hung in their home. Now I have it after my mother's death. My parents always loved it. The images were encased in double glass and it weighed a ton and I just had the whole thing redone. Since we've already had this decade's picture hanging event, I don't know when we'll get it in the wall.

The piece is really seven progressive images mounted in 2 different frames. The men featured are her father Dave, her brother Kenny and her grandfather Mel. They stand in the yard with mirrors looking at them and through them all kinds of ways. I believe this is Image 5 out of the 7 and is imperfect because Uncle Mel isn't quite holding his mirror correctly. But this was the easiest one to scan!

But it's good spirited and lively. She often likes to feature her family members. Check out that video I referenced (just by googling). Her brother Ken supplies the music.

So, who cares if 35 years have gone by ... must get in touch!

No comments: