Thursday, September 16, 2010

Photoessay #1056 - 1950s Sandy


Today I feature two more of the snapshots that I got from my cousin in Connecticut this summer. I have them all in an envelope which I espressly asked her to address which seemed the best hope of actually getting them back to her.

First shot from 1958 of my grandfather Irwin Baumann posing with hist grandchildren, my cousins Mary Ann and Malcolm and my brother and myself. I'm on the far right, six years old, just finished kindergarten. I'm next to my cousin Malcolm who is very close to my same age. My brother glowering as usual, he's likely been admonished for something or another. We were all just together at Mary Ann's for my parent's ceremony.

One vivid memory from that trip. We subsequently traveled to Boston and visited with my Aunt Elgie's family. My Uncle David took a picture, he had a timer on his camera. So he could set up the camera then run and get in the picture himself. I know that picture's around somewhere. I thought this was one of the most amazing things I had ever seen. How incredibly clever to be able to be in a picture you took yourself! My father's method of picture taking involved long long periods of standing still while he grumpily fooled with all of the dials (so sophisticated and complicated no child could possibly understand it, you know, technical). Which explains many slides of subject exiting the frame as they escaped my father's lengthy enforced poses. But you would never know looking at that little kindergarten girl that she was so impressed and astonished.

Second picture, of myself 1953. Likely at my aunt and uncle's house in Hamden (from the bricks). Notice my mother standing next to me with her cigarette. Very accepted at that time.....

No comments: