Saturday, September 11, 2010

photoessay #1051 - Football usher


First, let me apologize to husky fans who came in through the lower tunnel of Section 40 and I gave them wrong directions to their seats. Which I'm sure I did. A bunch.

I have survived my first day of game day staff at the University of Washington. And, yes, I am exhausted. I felt very anxious because I didn't know what I was supposed to do before I went. I didn't know what a Perimeter Guard did. And, when I got there, I was even more confused because I did not know who I was working for and what I was supposed to do. I think that perimeter guard positions are very precise in their location and they want certain people who know what's supposed to happen in that part of the stadium. And, though I was hired as such, my name was not on that list.

So I was absorbed as an usher and one captain picked us all up. I liked him a lot. So I did get a jacket. I did not get a hat. I did get an assignment sharing my tunnel with a young man who I liked a lot but knew even less than me.

But somehow we got all our thousands of people seated and I did see the game and the Huskies did win.

I didn't dare bring my camera. One sweet moment. Right near the beginning, two middle aged asian men came and said that their father died this past year and they still had his tickets and he loved to come to the games. They had half a dozen roses and they wanted to leave them on his seat. They took pictures and then they left. The flowers made it to the end. Somebody picked them up at the end, I thought it would be fine for them to go home with another fan. I did tell them about the flowers and they decided to leave them. Very sweet.

Stock shot of Husky Stadium. You're looking right at my side on the upper deck, towards the bottom.

No comments: