Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Photoessay #1041 - More Aptos Beach






I want to include some more pictures from Aptos (Rio Del Mar) beach, the site of our family vacations and my mom's very favorite spot. I know my sister used the imagery of the waves and the beach to comfort my mom as we sat with her during her last days. And it worked, my mom would smile as she thought of the beach.

First, I want to complete the circle. The morning we went was cloudy and cool, not many people on the beach but many many birds "It's BIRD CON" commented Dennis. But a grandma came, laden with all of the bags and towels, bringing her grandchildren (don't know if this truly was their relationship) and they enthusiastically dashed to the water, ran in the waves, pulled up huge clumps of seaweed, dug in the sandy, etc etc

That blue house on the corner...we used to rent it for the week in the 1960s. Then it was white with red shutters. Fenced yard. Now a property management office.

Check on over to my Ginsburgh Pics blog under the tagline 'Aptos' and you can see some great comparison shots. I'll share some in a later post. This one, I'm showing what's there NOW and my brother and sister can see that the area retains much of it's feel.

Another shot looking off to the north to the pier with the 'cement boat', now mostly submerged. Some artifact from the first world war. Probably so tough to dispose of it. Ahh, the internet comes through...the S. S. Palo Alto. The birds, everywhere, Monterrey Bay.

Couldn't resist taking a shot from Ginsburgh Pics from 1963 showing us all walking on the beach. My young mom, she loved it. Compare with my earlier blog entry.

The last shot...I hope my mom went out thinking of all this, her beloved Aptos beach. The waves crashing, cool breezes blowing, glistening light from the sea. She really wanted to come back and visit...

No comments: