Thursday, August 19, 2010

Photoessay #1031 - Houses in New Haven




When we were in New Haven last month, my cousin took us on a tour of the houses that my grandparents and great-grandparents resided in an older neighborhood fairly close to Yale and downtown New Haven. I think many of the affluent Jewish families lived here as these houses were quite close together. A gracious neighborhood with older homes, many very well kept up.

The blue grey house belonged to the patriarch Maier Zunder (1829-1901), my great great grandfather. He was a successful merchant and community leader, member of the school board. Had a school named after him (since torn down). Have the picture somewhere, maybe I already posted it.

The yellow house was Morris and Clara Baumann's (parents of my grandfather) prior to the depression.

My grandparents (Irwin and Regina Baumann) lived on Canner Street somewhere near here. We don't know the house so I took a picture of one side of the street. Also prior to the depression.

During the depression, the Baumann Rubber Company failed and my grandparents and great grandparents lost their homes.

I can imagine my mother and aunt easily taking the streetcar to the center of New Haven from that neighborhood .....

No comments: