Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Photoessay #1084 - Guided Autobriography


LOVED my class this morning. I think it will settle down to 5 of us (all women of a certain age, some with some personal connection with the instructor). The assignment was to write 600 words about a major branching point in our lives. I wrote about NOW, I posted it on this blog.

I read it, went over good, funny in the appropriate parts. But the other pieces, yes, yes, great! Two were about deaths in their family at an early age, both tremendously evocative. One kind of froze the moment in time, what if felt and looked like for her at that very moment when everything changed. The other, capturing the misery and the bewilderment and all of the other ways to experience grief when young even if you're not sure what happened (the reader doesn't until the end). Another, extremely good hearted piece about experiencing the 1962 Worlds Fair demonstrating faith in people around you. One grim essay involving a young husband with a traumatic head injury. All impressive and so personal. Older women are the most underestimated cohort!!

But this Guided Autobiography thing, why it's a MOVEMENT. A technique, a program. Very interesting. Classes and trainings and resources. I was so impressed with the intensity of the pieces. But maybe the instructor has seen this happen many times before.

Might be fun to take the training and teach myself.

Have no idea what image to use. Something from some time in my life. Me in 1959? Sounds good.

Wow, I really do look like my mom in this picture.

No comments: