Sunday, June 27, 2010

Photoessay #1082 - Fukushima



On the way to Yamagata from Tokyo on our Japan trip, the train stopped at Fukushima, a regional city of around 300K. A thin layer of snow covers the countryside and the city due to a late unusual snowstorm (it's mid April).

But I have friends, Curtis and Teresa Fukushima. So it seemed logical to take some pictures of the city of Fukushima from the train during the stop. As you probably have heard, Japan has a very strong developed train system. Fast, clean, on time, comfortable, organized, it's all true.

Curtis tells me that his family emigrated to Hawaii from the southern part of Japan, from the Hiroshima area. Famine, hard times. His family still lives in Hawaii. Nothing to do with the town of Fukushima at all.

But I still will post these pictures. Unremarkable but I did what I could in the few minutes the train stopped.

I took a lot of pictures from the train window as we zoomed past as we went from Tokyo to Yamagata to Kyoto back to Tokyo. Somehow I feel they are full of information, I just don't know how to interpret them.

Went with Curtis to a workshop for parent group which I enjoyed. Then later back to his house to see his unusual new table (involving Japanese art work) and then an enjoyable time talking with Margaret and Teresa.

Got home later than I expected but Ilana already had dinner under way. I always forget that Sunday is her night to cook.

No comments: