Monday, June 1, 2009

Photoessay #709 - UW to championship series



Of course, the Oregon Ducks are my favorite college softball team. But the Washington Huskies are next in line, being my hometown Pac 10 team. Their pitcher Danielle Lawrie has dominated softball this year. In fact, she's won the highest award, the Player of the Year Award. I first saw her pitch as part of the Canadian Junior team at Canada Cup (hey, that's where I first saw Yukiko Ueno of Japan). I'm acquainted with Danielle and I know that Susanna has visited her house up in BC.

Lots of excitement as the Washington Huskies advance to the Championship Series of the Women's College World Series. They came into the tournament of 64 as #3 seen; they will face the #1 seed Florida of SEC. Many softball fans have been anticipating this matchup all year. The winner of the Championship Series must win two games, one game per evening. The WCWS actually started last Thursday with 8 teams.

First shot is Danielle Lawrie after she hit the grand slam in the first inning of the 'if' game yesterday. Yes, a hitting pitcher, in fact she hits in the cleanup position in the lineup. Picture from Seattle Times used without permission.

I considered including a picture of a Husky player, Bailey with her dad that I took in Eugene. But I think I will go a different direction...here's the banner from the top of the softball page on their website (also used without permission). I'm going on a limb here...clearly a picture of the Huskies playing in their stadium, taken from the outfield. But who are they playing? Yellow jerseys. Who has yellow jerseys, except the Ducks? Yes, white pants and green socks, very likely. That's not Nina in center field, looks like Sari Jane. And who's at second? Certainly not Cortney K. No, the more I look at it, of course, it's Susanna, my very own kid. Could be Melissa (note blond hair) pitching and the long drink of water at third has the stance of Jo Gail. So we're talking the 2007 season.

The punch line? Continue on. If Susanna is playing second, who's at short? Yup, Jenn Salling playing short. So what, you say? Who's playing short for UW tonight in the Championship. Jenn Salling. Her transfer to UW has been controversial. Water under the bridge, yes. Wish her well, etc

But who put up that picture in the banner?

No comments: