Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Photoessay #703 - Coach A


The university athletic department where my daughter played her collegiate ball announced last week that they would not be renewing the coach's contract.

I took this picture when we attended the last weekend of the season earlier this month. Coach A's coaching third base as she always did.

She had been the coach for 7 years. Actually Susanna had been one of her first recruits. Though I was trying to learn all I could about the recruiting process, I generally, like most parents, employed magical thinking. I was just sure that a major coach would see *my kid* playing and would just know that she was the greatest. My consultant I was working with tried to persuade me that was unlikely. But, in fact, that is what happened. Coach A was hired in the summer, she hadn't seen her team, she had to leave all of her former recruits, she had 7 seniors on her new team. She had to recruit fast and hard. Susanna had a great tournament at the 18A Nationals in Rockford IL. Yup, the Nationals were in Rockford, how's that for crazy?

Generally, a Pac 10 school would not be recruiting out of 18A. But she needed recruits. So, as luck would have it, they watched Susanna in a game with the Atlanta Vipers and the assistant J picked her out. Susanna hit a home run and a triple in that game. Then, later in the day, they were involved in a marathon game with the Grapettes. I looked around and it seemed like everybody in that huge tournament was watching. When I talked to coaches later that fall and mentioned that game, they all said "Oh yes, we remember THAT game". Susanna made one of her spectacular "Suzie plays" in the infield and hit a ground rule double that tied the score. The Grapette coach came storming out claiming that Susanna was using an illegal bat. She hit the ball with Kristina Thorson's bat and there were confusing, conflicting information around bats at that time. The umpires stopped the game and a long conversation ensued about the bat. I distinctly remember Susanna standing out there on second base with Jim Weitzel by her side (dad who was coaching first) for the longest time. Her main coach Roger also standing in the infield not being part of the conversation. The play stood.

My father had decided he wanted to go and wanted to be in the wheelchair (!) Couldn't believe that. So no place was acceptable to him except right behind home plate. Who's going to challenge an old guy in a wheelchair? So he was sitting about 3 inches from Coach A. Making who knows what kind of comments. I so so wanted Susanna to be recruited by Coach A. Meanwhile Gin (Kristina was pitching) and I were pacing around going nuts.

The LadyHawks eventually lost that game in extra innings throwing them into a monster losers bracket. The next day they played 4 games, finally losing the 4th game. From exhaustion if nothing else. We noticed that Coach A had set herself up on the other side of the field watching. Watching what? Who? There are many NCAA recruiting requirements which mainly say that the coaches can't talk to you. Finally, the moms up in the bleachers wondered. Since this was a new coach, did we still have to send the materials again? OK, it was a madeup question but I decided I would go ask her. So, I went up and did ask her. She asked me to point out Suzie Barnes' parents (they do that). She had no way of knowing it was me, she's looking for some little asian lady, right? I said that I was. So now things are rocky but who cares. She also asked if her school had recruited K Thorson. We talked about that for awhile.

Coaches can make one of their precious recruiting contacts at a tournament AFTER the player has played their final game. Doesn't happen that much. After the last game was over, John T. announced that they would be taking a little walk to see what might transpire. I was busy giving away all our gatorade and water to another northwest team. (You had to stay completely stocked up, but what were you going to do when you were out of the tournament?) The coach for that team was pretty stunned when I marched into their dugout and handed over several cases of water and gatorade. "Northwest Represent" I told him. Then I went to see what might be happening. Sure enough, there is Coach A talking to John and some parents and players. Whoooeee, could it be? I hurry on over and even though this recruiting contact is going on "in the middle of town" with lots of parents and players standing around, they were definitely talking to Susanna. Coach A asks if we have any other material and I whip out the video and the resume which I had brought PRECISELY for this sort of thing. Coach A was impressed. We told her about Susanna's trip to Korea and she said she would be in touch. Some of the other folks didn't understand what was going on, but I did. This was a Recruiting Contact.

I eventually convinced Susanna to do an Unofficial Visit later in the summer. we wouldn't go unless we could get an appt with the coaches. I thought about what I wanted to accomplish.

My first favorite thing...they invite her for an official visit
My next favorite thing...they suggest that we pick up a map at the entrance (this would mean they weren't interested, so we would know)
My least favorite thing...they lead us on

This exercise helped because, when we got to Coach A's office one of the first things she said was "We've got to get your Official Visit set up" Bingo, I knew we had it.

NOTE: recruiting for the top schools has changed since 2002 when this happened. Now offers are often (though not always) made before the Official Visit.

Coach A was an aggressive recruiter, she put on quite a show for us. She made an offer. Susanna made the hard decision and made the verbal commitment, later signing a Letter of Intent.

She played her college ball under Coach A. She also served as student assistant coach her fifth year. She basically started from the day she got there though she wasn't promised anything. Coach A increased her scholarship about halfway through to a full athletic ride.

Were things always good with Coach A? No, but I won't go into any criticisms at this time. It's tough when you lose your job and don't expect it. Ditto for the assistant and Associate Head Coach who likely have lost their jobs too.

See? Another post that started out as one thing and ended up as another.

No comments: