Saturday, May 23, 2009

Photoessay #700 - Folklife


The Northwest Folklife Folk Festival takes place at Seattle Center on Memorial Day Weekend. Tons of all kinds of music, dancing and workshop. We used to go and spend hours. I would talk of the 'Folklife Experience' some thing that you would see and participate in that would touch you in some new way. The treat is to just hear lots and lots of things that you don't know a thing about.

One year, I listened to a gospel music concert. One group, the Mighty Warriors came on. I was skeptical as quite a few elderly african american men took the cage. The could hardly walk. But then I noticed that there was a whole row of younger men with electric guitars backing them up. The Mighty Warrrors rocked big time, just blew my ears off with their gospel sounds. Now, that was a 'folklife experience'.

One year it was the Cowboy Poets with Dennis. Or Samoan Dancers. One year, Laura and I went and sat for several hours with of Mayan and Aztec music, you know those small men with those long black braids playing flutes.

But now, I don't quite have the patience for it. Just too many people; too crowded. Dennis and I went today and I lasted about 3 1/2 hours before I had just had it.

But we did listen to
Flamenco Fusion
an earnest singer songwriter
a trio of more than middle aged folks from the Olympic peninsula with some folk music
a trio of flute, cello and flute
plus
I particpated in an hour long 'harmony singing' workshop

We had burritos for lunch and split a strawberry shortcake at the end.

Luckily we got there at the opening when it's pretty easy to move around.

Picture shows some of the crowds

No comments: