Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Photoessay #692 - 1915 census


My mother recently found this on her basement floor when going through things with my brother. She mentioned that it was the first time she had been down there for many months (I never could figure out why they needed that basement). Anyway she didn't know what to do with it so Charlie said "Send it to Sandy"

A 1949 document verifying 1915 census records in Rochester New York, showing my grandfather Harold Ginsburgh living with his parents Jacob and Minnie. I'm not sure that I knew that Jacob was not born in this country. I knew he was some kind of printer, occupation 'lithographer' wish I knew more about that.

I'm wondering if my grandfather requested this, maybe in lieu of a birth certificate, maybe to get a passport. Can't think of any other reason.

For reasons not disclosed, I know a lot of people in Rochester NY. Today, I asked if somebody could go by that address "198 Lyndhurst St" to see what was there and maybe take a picture. It's hard to tell from google what's there, it's in a central district right near a freeway. One person suggested that this was not a very 'good neighborhood' but I think they'll go by.

The story is that my grandfather (doted on youngest child and only son) started college at the University of Rochester and then won a scholarship to Harvard from the Harvard Club of Rochester. A proud member of the Class Of 1920. That was his major identity for the rest of his life. A Harvard man.

I hope to have a picture of the site.

No comments: