Saturday, January 31, 2009

Photoessay #535 - Alan and Allen



On June 3, 1926, two sons were born to American jewish families, one in New Jersey, one in Massachusetts. Their names were phonetically the same

Alan Ginsberg and
Allen Ginsburgh

One attended Columbia University, the other attended Cornell and Harvard. One because the famous Beat poet, author of Howl and public figure. The other became my father. Al. The aeronautical engineer who later became director of mergers and acquisitions at Sundstrand. A Nixon republican all of his days. Always interested in education issues. At the end of his life he was very active in raising funds (making pitches) for the 'Rockford Promise' designed to pay for college or technical school for any young person in Rockford, IL who would graduate from high school.

I always meant to introduce the two Allen Ginsburghs (sp), born on the same day, to each other. I remember at UCSC where I attended in the early 70s, my father would occasionally visit. The college had some guest rooms for this purpose and when I would make a reservation for Allen Ginsburgh, the staff would get all excited "The REAL Alan Ginsberg?!" "yes", I would say, "the real Allen Ginsburgh"

But the poet died in 1997, my father passed in 2006. The opportunity has passed forever. Allen knew about Alan but I don't think Alan knew about Allen.

Their photos......

No comments: