Monday, November 3, 2008

Photoessay #451 - Roomies part 2


I featured the second picture last June but it's just so cute, I'll use it again in a slightly different context.

I participate in the softball forum often helping new parents navigate the recruiting game. I've been there. We did use a consultant (Cathy Aradi). Sometimes she advised me to shut up and sit down. And I would. It was for the best.

But when you finally get it all done, you reflect "Wish I had known this and this and this before I started. Wow I really didn't know WHAT I was doing. Wish I hadn't made that gaffe and said this wrong thing to that wrong person"

Of course, you (and your student athlete) are not done when the recruiting is done, they are just starting their (always too short) collegiate career. Looking back it's been a lot of fun being the parent of a Pac 10 athlete.

But here's the beginning my DD (that's softball talk for daughter) moving in with her new roommate the very first day. It was the roomie's birthday and my dd had made her a funny little picture. Roomie's dad at work in the background (aren't we always). They didn't have much time, I think the dorms opened at 9am and they had to report to the coach at noon. Their time was all spoken for after that.

They enjoyed themselves as roommates, and though they didn't live together after that freshman year, they remained close friends. My dd counted on her roomie to keep track of where she was supposed to be. She would shrug when asked "I'll ask Amie, she'll know" Even that last day, what time are they supposed to be at graduation, she calls Amie to find out.

One was from that state, one from the state to the north. One was asked to redshirt the first year, one was a starter from the beginning. One was a Gatorade player of the year, one was all state infield. One was using services for those with learning disabilities. One started all four years, one played more some years and less others but always remained a team leader. One was voted most inspirational 3 years in a row. Both won Pac 10 academic honors. One was Pac 10 athletic 2nd team. Both showed decisive senior leadership.

And they both graduated after 5 years. One by design due to the redshirt freshman year. One was always on the 5 year plan taking a few less credits per quarter. Both in education. One with a Masters, one with a Bachelors.

Isn't this bottom picture, the one that all parents would like to see of their student athletes participating in NCAA varsity sports?

Congrats Amie and Susanna!!!

edit-- The commencement for the School of Education was held at MacArthur Court which is right next to Howe Field (I maintain this is the oldest field used in D1 softball, it was built in the 1930s for baseball). Right afterwards, they picked the lock and they took pictures of themselves posing on the softball field in their cap and gowns. Fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, that's what it's all about isn't it? The degree!