Sunday, November 2, 2008

Photoessay #450 - All of a sudden


Autumn came all of a sudden. One day, it was warm and the greenness of the trees belied the calendar date. Some years, the leaves start falling in mid-September. This year, Nov 1 came and poof, all the leaves turned, seemed like in one day. I know I'm exaggerating but there's no doubt about the season now at all.

In some ways, the autumn colors challenge the brightness of the spring hues. An entirely different palette. Where's the yellows, pinks and whites? Somehow, I think it's a trick, a brilliant show that does not get you through the dark dank northwest winter.

I am going to Rockford this week. Like everyone else, I will try to get away with carry on luggage, don't want to pay the fee. I don't really have to take the laptop, my late father's computer is in the room where I say on a cot. Still with an internet connection, my mother never uses it but it's bundled up with the phone and visitors (like me) use it. Last year, we were signing up for her activities on the February cruise on it when we realized that her passport had to expire at least 6 months after the event and we took off for the main post office on a cold, dark snowy late Friday afternoon.

Temperatures look mild, I'll be fine. I never take my regular turtlenecks and sweaters because the environments there (retirement home et al) are so overheated, I would roast.

No comments: