Saturday, November 1, 2008

Photoessay #499 - Community work


I attended a workshop and training for a parenting group that I work with a lot. Good turnout, about 25 people. I only attended the afternoon which featured training for new parent orientation, I presented a good portion of the central part of the program. I am known for my informal tone and humor. Usually new parents who attend our group are not much in the mood for humor, their situation is NOT FUNNY. Interesting, throughout the years only about 15% of new parents continue with the group's program. Many people don't like the idea, too demanding, life is too chaotic. But often, those that embrace the program often stay, enthusiastically helping other parents as they work out their own difficult situations. I tell new folks "Many people will help you, the only thing we ask is that you help others when you are out of crisis"

We have some training flip charts. Opinions vary on their quality, others want more detail and structure. I like them, they seem to work for me very well. When I reflected on this the other night, I realized that the three things I wanted to get across were aided by the cues on the existing sheets.
a. The nature of the group
b. the structure of the meetings and teams
c. a few parenting principles (slow down, no advice criticism or explanations, think-plan-act)

You only have these harried panicked parents for an hour. I assure the new orientation folks, most people will not really remember what you say, they are just looking for some stability in the storm. So don't worry if you don't remember to say everything.

One of my colleagues describes new members walking in the door 'with their hair on fire'. I've noticed that people who come in look terrible, exhausted, hopeless. After they've been around for 3 months or so, their situation might not have substantially improved but THEY look so much better.

This picture, taken at the very end as everybody pitched in to get the room cleaned up (we had reserved a meeting room at the local library).

No comments: