Thursday, May 24, 2007

Photoessay #3 - Self-expression


The purpose of my blog is self-expression. Creative writing. My creative writing. Exercises in writing things about places I've been and things that I see. Can I do it? What do I have to say?

My initial hook is to write about pictures that I have or can have. Not about me but about the world around me. I'm hoping that these exercises will have unintended consequences, that writing every day will take me somewhere that I cannot yet see. Develop a voice, gather insight, improve writing technique, something.

I have a million ideas. About a year ago, I took a writing class and collected websites that have lots of exercises. I have hundreds of pictures. I have a rich flexible life which gives me ample opportunity to reflect and think. That's the best thing that I can think of for myself right now.

I have a job, I don't need a better one. I have enough money. Many of my family responsibilities have lessened, I am no longer so constrained. I'm 55 years old, the time to do this is NOW.

The picture shows one of my daughters reading her work at a literary 'coffeehouse' at her high school. Some years ago. The coffeehouse gives the high school students the opportunity to read their prose or poetry to interested community members. The readers and the audience both are responsive and enthusiastic. Many heartfelt pieces and more than enough violent robot poetry. I can't remember what my daughter is reading here. But clearly she has a feeling or idea she's confident she will express. She has even more ideas and aspirations, so many stories and characters in her head.

I love the idea that some writers have a character in their mind's eye and their job is to record what the character does. The character is autonomous and intrinsic. They really exist, our job is to witness their development and adventures. I don't think I can do this, just as I can't sing harmony. But a fascinating idea.

1 comment:

Dianna Woolley said...

I have a daughter that inspires me to action/greatness also.

My parents were very good parents and I always loved them, but I don't think they inspired me to anything...whereas, I am in awe of my daughter's accomplishments.

I've told her that, but of course, she will never really believe that to be true.....that is until her own daughters begin to achieve. Then she will realize the depth of her influence upon them!

May you continue to grow in your own expression and may you find your daughter's accomplishments pushing your own creativity to new heights.