Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Photoessay #2 - Softball, what's happening here?


It is very difficult to take good softball pictures. This picture was taken by myself (who else would take such a great shot?) May 18, 2007 in Columbia, South Carolina at the NCAA Division 1 Softball Regional #15.

The four teams participating (in order of seed) were

North Carolina State University
University of Oregon
Pennsylvania State University
University of South Carolina

We won't go into why the University of Oregon had to travel 3000+ miles to a tournament which is supposed to minimize travel expenses.

South Carolina won the Regional. Oregon went into Championship Sunday as the winners bracket team. That meant that South Carolina had to defeat Oregon TWICE to win the Regional to advance to the Super Regionals. Which they did. Darn. My daughter's collegiate softball career is now over.

But the picture is full of mysterious action. Home plate is in the bottom foreground. The Penn State team is in the dugout in the background. The red clay of the Palmetto State. Players leaving the frame in both directions. Likely an Oregon batter exiting to the left, probably my DD (daughter in softball talk). Maybe she fouled it off and the catcher is diving to catch it? At first, I thought that was a leg and a shoe but now I realize that it's a hand and a glove. Possibly the batter hit the ball and is running to first?

Everybody is in movement but nothing can be seen..... At least, the batter is legally in the box.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying your terrific photography and of course your witty comments (like the braid being in order on tehother photo!)

Anonymous said...

Okay -- we just got back from London and I'm getting ready for that weird senior season.... at least I'm trying to get ready. So to get my fix I read all of your softball posts. What will our Suz be doing this fall? What will you do? I love your blog -- VERY well done.