Sunday, February 24, 2019

Detectorists


We're not tv watchers, not at all actually.  Somebody on Facebook mentioned this series and I checked it out and Dennis and I have enjoyed it a lot.  Only 19 episodes on BBC so we've watched them all.  You can get DVDs on netflix or individual episodes are on youtube.  I prefer the DVD for higher quality plus subtitles.  Yes I'm that age, I like the subtitles.

The best thing about this series is that it's very good-hearted and sweet.  The well-developed characters interact in authentic ways  with mild conflict.  The tall guy in the picture Mackenzie Crook, one of the leads, also wrote and directed this series.  He's made if very clear that he's done with it and he wrapped everything up neatly in the last episode.  The deadpan humor will crack you up with cultural jokes sprinkled in.  Will have your smiling throughout.

The story is about metal detecting in the English countryside.  Really.  Everybody is looking for gold.  I realize now that the countryside is a large part of the appeal.  Somebody wrote that it was similar to Beachcombers which is set in British Columbia.  I didn't feel great watching the intro with its northwest features, logs, cold water, wind, forest, harbors.  Crikey, I think I need to go back to California; maybe I've had enough of this landscape.

That expletive is from about another series "Time Team".  The archaeology professor suggested that one to me.  Dennis hates it.  I really thought the Detectorists had to have something to do with Time Team and, sure enough, it came up in one of the episodes.  Of course it would.  I'll say, how about watching some "Time Team?"  Dennis will respond "No Time Team!  No Time Team!"

It deserves it's own entry.

But consider "Detectorists."  A magpie has an important role and it has a beautiful theme song.



No comments: