Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Jews gather in Seattle


The Jewish congregations here in Seattle have had several events of comfort and commemoration in response to the shooting in Pittsburgh.  My own congregation Beth Am had something on Sunday afternoon.  I couldn't go as Megan had already bought the play tickets and plans were in place. 

The big deal was last night at the biggest congregation  near downtown Seattle De Hirsch Sinai.  It was for everybody.  Widely publicized, to me anyway, I got several email announcements about it.  I tried to make it work to go but I just couldn't make it happen.  Dennis had to go somewhere else.  Parking would be tough probably blocks away.  Dark and Rainy.  Nobody seemed to be driving together from Beth Am that I knew about.  The bus seemed iffy.

It would be live-streamed.  I decided to stay home, write postcards and watch it online.  Here's a screenshot wit the closing song, Hashkivenu, a favorite.  All clergy were invited to stand on the steps in front.

The governor, mayor and others spoke.  Wish I could have made it.

But today, I'm leaving it all on the field, writing as many postcards for Senator Heidi Heitkamp and I can.  Dennis is writing them too.  I figure that this is just about the last day.

That's sport talk, maybe everybody knows.  The goal is, win or lose, you leave all of your effort on the field, you hold nothing back, you do everything you can.





No comments: