Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Where's my Roy Cohn?


Today after class, I walked a few blocks with my professor.  I had been chatting with him about the movie (part of it anyway) Chaplin's "Modern Times."  None of the students had mentioned the main character's transformation after being stuck the the works of the machine.  He came out dancing and singing.

He mentioned the class last quarter and how, sometimes, he wish that he had that same class.  If only just to witness.  I immediately picked on what he meant.  Just a few days, President Trump,demanded "Where's my Roy Cohn?" meaning that he wanted an attorney, a fixer, who would make all things right, loyal to him.

The last quarter, Prof. Butwin assigned "Angels in America," the plays about the beginning of the AIDS epidemic.  Dennis and I watched the movie and he showed a lot of it in class.  Roy Cohn, played by Al Pacino in the movie, was truly a bad despicable guy, a villain, dying of AIDS which he insisted was liver cancer. Truly devoid of ethics, he prided himself on being able to manipulate things in his favor.

Roy Cohn, worked for Sen. Mcarthy, also behind the conviction of Ethel Rosenberg (who shows up in the movie to haunt him).  Later disbarred.

So why, why would anybody, anybody with any scruples cry out "Where's my Roy Cohn?"  Who would do that?  Prof. Butwin and I shake our heads, can't hardly believe it.

Picture about with the two of them.

No comments: