Wednesday, August 9, 2017

My archaeologists class

My summer class at UW is winding down.  We'll have student presentations the last few class sessions.  I'm highly satisfied with it.  You know, summer classes taught by graduate students; could be anything.  The class has 8 enrolled students and 6 access students.  As often happens, things warmed up for the access students as time went on.  We had no bad actor access students.  At first, she indicated that discussions were for 'students only' and 'the auditors' had to leave.  Which we did.  But then as the class coalesced, when she had discussion times, she asked 'the students' their preference and they were fine with having us there; we were all part of the experience.  So that's how it's been for the rest of the quarter and it's been great.  Discussion have become livelier and the students are helping each other out including the access students.  "I know about Art Deco," one says.  Another says "I have a book that could really help you, I'll bring it next time."  So, it's been a good time.  Mostly learning about 19th century white males but at least one prominent woman Theresa Bell who worked in Mesopotamia.

Once I mentioned the discussion topic that comes over and over again.  Should these antiquities be in the British Museum?  The teacher laughed and said "That's really what this class was about; I just didn't know it!"

No comments: