Monday, January 18, 2016

Butcher's Advocate

An obituary for my great great grandfather Samuel Lederer.  Appeared in the June 28, 1916 edition of the Butcher's Advocate mourning the loss of a leading member of the hide and tallow trade.  I don't want to think too much about that.  I don't work too much on this side of my family; I leave that to my third cousin Sue Geiger.

I haven't worked much on genealogy in recent years.  One question that I learned from the genealogy teacher in my certificate class.  There's always some reason why somebody is living in a particular place.  If they moved there, why?

I would like to ask that question regarding another great great grandfather Paul Weil.  He moved from Berlin to New Haven CT around 1860.  Why?

And a great grandfather who moved with his family as a child from Poznan, a district either in Poland or Eastern Prussia depending on how you look at it.  Why did his family move to Rochester NY?  Why?

Samuel Lederer came from what is now the Czech Republic.  Towns with impossible combinations of letters.  Not sure why he ended up in New Jersey.  There's a torah with his name on it in some congregation.

I guess I still have some work to do.

No comments: