Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Return to Sobibor

And I never want to go there in the first place.

There is going to be a Holocaust at UW taught by the author of "Ordinary Men" which examined the members of the killing units in the east who would go from town to town shooting Jews.  Lots and lots of them.  I don't think I want to go there.

But I remembered the book; Escape from Sobibor,I even think I read it a long time ago.

My grandfather's cousin David Baumann died in the death camp there in 1943.  There was an uprising in the fall of 1943..  300 tried to escape; 50 survived the war.  The Nazis shut down the camp after that. 
David Baumann was 51 years old, born in Schmeiheim in Baden, that district of Germany that borders France.  Shows up in the Netherlands list.  Don't know why he was in, or if he ever was in The Netherlands.  Don't know anything else about him, hard to figure out how.  I thought I put all that information on the ancestry family tree.  But it wasn't there, so I just added a bunch.

Picture from the US Holocaust Museum collection of the survivors about a year after their escape.  David Baumann, not among them, already dead.  Don't know how, gassed the first day?  Worked in the camps.  Don't know, don't know.

No comments: