Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Yogananda

My old friend and college roommate JJ has been a follower of Yogananda for many years  She has talked about the Self Realization Fellowship and his teachings.

It might be too crass to dismiss him for his attractive appearance (the hair) and the southern California roots.  But now, that attracts me all the more.  Last spring, when I was down in Santa Cruz for the weekend, I attended their Sunday service.  JJ led the service (it was her turn) and besides the readings, they chanted and JJ played the harmonium.  I liked it.

I'm taking that gospels class at UW.  What surprises me about the parables is how a bit wacky many are.  I can't figure out the message from some of them.  Is it so many copying and versions and translations?  Do I have to listen to a lot of sermons to figure out the message?

JJ referred a book that Yogananda wrote about the parables.  It's thick and don't know if I'm going to get through it.  But I'll read as much as I can.

And somehow the southern California roots maybe ok, they may even be attractive.  Paramahansa Yogananda came from India and brought the yoga and meditation with him.

One positive aspect is their Seattle center is right nearby, just around the corner from where I live.  I drove by there today seeing if they were open.  On their website, they said that their center was only open certain times during the week.

No comments: