Monday, September 8, 2014

I'm making a run for it




So we're pretty sure that we're going for cemetery plots in the iconic Mishkan Israel Cemetery.  What?  You haven't heard of it?  It's where all my 19th century New Haven Jewish buddies hang out.

Turns out that my parents bought two plots but only used one.  So, with a letter from my sibs, we can use it.  My sister said she wanted to be close to them.  So Dennis and I would buy a plot somewhere nearby.  The Mishkan Israel lady points out that the old part of the cemetery is 'full'.  Hey, says my cousin Mary Ann, what about right next to Delia?

Yeah.  Yeah.  OK here goes the explanation.  My great grandmother Delia married her first cousin Charles Weil.  But I don't think she liked him much.  She wanted to marry somebody else.  She only had one child (my grandmother) and she died in her forties in 1910.  A broken heart, my cousin says.  Charles remarries to Mollie Steinert Ullman, probably much happier.  He's buried with his second wife's family not too far away.

Now you got the Weils and the Zunders and all those Bavarian Jews in 19th Century New Haven and they all intermarried like crazy (probably similar to the Seattle Sephardic Jews).  Everybody is related to everybody else three ways till Tuesday.

Charles Weil's parents, Paul and Johanna, bought a nice looking monument in Mishkan Israel (first picture).  In 1874, Charles and his brother Louis bought four plots in front of their parents for themselves and their wives, Flora Rosenthal Weil and Delia Zunder Weil.  I have lots of postcards from Aunt Flora.  She and Delia are step sisters, cousins, sister in laws and cousin in laws.  All at the same time.  Do not attempt to figure this out, take my word for it.

But only three of the graves are full (as far as we know)  Louis, Flora, and Delia are there.  But, remember, Charles is buried with his second wife Molly.

Knock, knock, is anybody buried there?  If not, how about *me*?  Mary Ann called me today and said she found the original deed for the four graves bought in 1874.  She's got the deed!  We are going to make some trouble, we agree.  I'm going to make a run for it.

But Mary Ann is going to France and the High Holidays are upon us so probably will have to deal with this further in October.

No comments: