Saturday, August 24, 2013

Photoessay #2419 - Old friends are the best

This morning we had breakfast with our good friends Perry and Laura.  My son Danny and daughter-in-law Jessica came too.  Old breakfast places are the best too.  But we showed up at Claire's Pantry in Lake City and found out that the business was closed.  What?  We've been going there forever!!  We ended up at a Patty's Eggnest over by Northgate which was fine.

We had been having Thanksgiving dinner with Perry and Laura since we moved to Seattle from Chico and they moved to Oregon from Chico around 1979.  We both built our families and we switched back and forth until they moved to the Seattle area around 1990.  Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I loved hosting.  However I was always aware with families that everything's transient.  One recent year, I had 19 people and realized that 12 of them were high school or college age.  Wow, I thought, this isn't going to last.  Then their boys started having their girlfriends and they stopped coming and had their own Thanksgiving.  I was so sad because I loved having the families together but, hey, nothing stays the same.  Last year, we had our world record low, only five people.  Welcome to the new world.

But today, at breakfast, they said they wanted to revive getting together at Thanksgiving.  Yay!  I was so pleased.  I was looking for some ancient Thanksgiving shots and I'm sure I'll find some.

But today, I will feature the two friends of longest standing, Danny, my son and Ben, their son.  This is maybe 1984, they're about two, maybe three years old.

Skip ahead almost thirty years.  Danny's getting married and Ben stands up for him as his best man.

Old friends are best.

No comments: