Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Photoessay #2824 - Eichmann in Jerusalem

I've always meant to read this book "Eichmann in Jerusalem" by noted scholar Hannah Arendt.  Generally I have found her material difficult "above my pay grade"

I've only read about 1/3 of this book but it truly is the creepiest book ever.  I know, technical terms.  But reading a lecture by Candian Ian Johnston reminded me of where some true danger lies.  The reader feels stunned about how Eichmann, a functionary in the Nazi government saw himself and his work.  He styled himself as a friend of the Jews even as he took part in their destruction.  He could see nothing wrong; he felt that he worked in a moral way.  But he couldn't see any moral way.  If anything, he's the child who cannot understand.  He felt that his good work which brought him recognition should be recognized by all.

Prof. Johnston reminds me of one of the Nazi's most effective tools - classification.;  Once you can classify a group as not citizens, as inhuman, then you are well on your way to destroying them in plain sight.

Sometimes I feel that way about people who have truly different world views.  It is all about classification, after all.  If somebody feels that evangelical christianity is the only way, then only Christians are moral people.  And if you are classified as non-christian, as heathen,as a blasphemer, then you cannot be moral, you can't be a member of humanity, you are less than a person, destroying you could be godly act.

And from other right-wing views, if you are not with them, you are the enemy.  Especially if you advocate 'wrong' practices.  Such as gay marriage, protection of women from rape, alternative life-styles, plurality, tolerance.  You can be destroyed if you are classified as not worthy of humanity.

Not saying that all christians nor conservative people think in such extreme terms.  But the germ is still there. 

I'm also reading a book about the Americans Jewish communities reaction to the Holocaust.

Growing up in reform Jewish circles, the sentiment I most remember is "Never Again!"  But how can you identify the views around you that could lead to such genocide.  How can you be sure that it won't happen again?  I remember talking about that a lot.

And isn't that the craziest part about the Nazi's destruction of the Jews?  That it was done in plain sight?

A scan of the book I checked out of the UW library.  Pretty decrepit and soiled itself.  Like the subject.  I think it's appropriate.

No comments: