Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Photoessay #2823 - Note to Sophie

In case any of you thought I had forgotten about my second great grandfather Maier Zunder, no such luck.

I'm working on my collection of images of the scrapbook pages.  I've gotten them numbered and printed out.  I have logged them into an excel spreadsheet (lacking a database, why is that?).  As always, cleanup of data takes a large chunk of time.

Maier kept these scrapbooks himself, 2 volumes covering 1870-1900.  179 pages with 359 items.

59 are in German, the rest English
273 are newspaper articles

They reflected his interest in the Board of Education, B'nai B'rith, Order of True Sisters, Mishkan Israel (especially building the new temple) as well as the naming of Zunder School.

He also includes, especially in later years, items regarding his own family and social activities (including the weddings of his children)

Many articles quote him directly. but there's not much of his own writing but there is this note to Sophie (written on her birthday?).  I'm waiting for my translator to get done with finals and start translating again!  I want her to run up my bill big time!

No comments: