Saturday, August 20, 2011

Photoessay #1487 - My photography project


OK, so everything I do ends up as a collage.

I worked almost all day yesterday on my final project for my photography class (Digital Photography 1 in the ArtsNow program at Edmonds Community College).

I will develop a better writer's statement. About my project. It's about that small oriental carpet that is now at the bottom of my stairs. Really who did it come from? I thought maybe it was the Ginsburgh/Cohen (my father's) side. But I've changed my mind, I now have it coming from the Baumann/Weill (my mother's). Since I don't really remember. Alas, nobody alive actually knows. And it worked in better with my pictures.

I see my small carpet having several themes

a. The history (represented by the bxw shot of the carpet underneath my grandmother's chair, desk and photos (ok the photos are actually of the Cohens but the effect, baby, we want the effect...and my grandmother's 1914 wedding picture standing on a similar carpet)

b. Rich color and design of the carpet. The background of the piece is a 20x30 rendering of carpet greyed out. You can see bits and pieces of it between the shots. I have the 'popping' shot with grass in the upper right. And a closeup of the center of the rug alluding to the grayed out rendering in the middle.

c. The utility of the carpet (my dog Teddy knows what it's for)

d. Magic carpet? (Look at it fly and Naomi and her friend try to give it a lift)

e. The rug as a sentient being (Trying to climb a ladder? Being lost in the woods?)

I had the toughest time trying to photograph it this afternoon. I coped with distorting glare everywhere I went. I think if I had a real SLR camera with a polarizing lens, maybe I wouldn't have that problem. My best shot was on the office floor.

I don't know exactly how I will get it from the car up to my classroom next Thursday but I'll work it out.

No comments: