Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Photoessay #1228 - Clear horizons ahead


Yesterday I had the privilege of visiting some friends who suffered a terrible tragedy just about a year ago - the untimely accidental death of a young adult child. They know that things can never be the same for them. I'm hoping they they may see an occasional glimmer of hope. Just getting through these anniversaries can bring some healing. They will never stop missing their daughter. Nor will the rest of the world. They have many wonderful memories and like to speak of some of the good times they had.

But they're still here in this world and so are all of the rest of us. What do they say ... none of us are getting out of this alive? Still a death 'out of order' wounds the living to the quick.

They allowed me to come visit, which I appreciate. I had made a small special donation to an animal cause in honor of their daughter. On a whim, knowing the risk, I had brought over my blog books as I knew D had been working on a book featuring his grandfather's letters about his own life. I have recently compiled my blog entries into books with a specialty publisher. I enjoyed seeing his work and he admired my books; it encouraged him that his book will also have a professional quality feel. We are all vanity publishers!

L. enjoyed looking at the pictures from 2007 and 2008. After an hour, they needed to go meet somebody and I left. L said "You've cheered us up on this sad day. I didn't think I would be able to go to this meeting but now I can!"

A small victory for me.

I'm featuring one of D's pictures which he offered to share. Waterways somewhere in the Olympic Peninsula. We are all floating in the current to unknown destinations. Clouds can darken our way but we can also appreciate their beauty. Clear horizons ahead!

No comments: