Friday, March 18, 2011

Photoessay #1238 - Retribution



Recently I talked to a parent struggling over a counselor's comment that refusing to give an abusive a teen a ride on demand was 'retribution'. Both the parent and myself interpreted this as a negative remark. That the parent's refusal of the request for the ride (even after the teen knocked over furniture and threw things around earlier in the day was inappropriate, mean-spirited or vengeful.

But, looking it up, I found this definition of "retribution":

Punishment that is considered to be morally right and fully deserved

Very very interesting. Looking further, the Greek goddess Nemesis was considered the deity of divine retribution. One source mentioned Nemesis directed human affairs in such a way as to maintain equilibrium. I've included two artworks depicting Nemesis, one from Wikipedia (artwork by Alfred Rethel?) and one from a history blog. Don't know what as much about the illustrations as I would like. What are they holding in their hands and why?

Alas, I don't have time to figure that out.

But now, I don't view the idea of retribution so negatively.

No comments: