Thursday, March 3, 2011

Photoessay #1223 - Teddy and his cone


Unfortunately, the other day Teddy managed to split one of his back claws back to the quick. Another trip to the vet where they trimmed it. They don't want him licking it or chewing it so they outfitted him with the dreaded cone. The biggest they had and it's real stiff. He's supposed to wear it 3 days. They said he would get used to it.

But it's horrible! He could barely walk or go up or down the stairs. He bumped into everything. How could he eat or relax to go sleep? I felt so bad for him. So disruptive.

But, being an easy going kind of guy, he's just integrated it into his brindle boy lifestyle. I think he just believes that this cone is now part of his life and like everything else, it's all good. He's figured out how to eat and drink and sleep with it. He went out into the backyard and used it to flip balls around in the mud. Susanna took it off and hosed it off (completely covered with dirt) and he didn't object when I put it back on.

Because of his giraffe neck and supply spine, he can lick his foot even with it on. But he doesn't.

Strikes me that many other things would upset him more. Especially if he was left alone or abandoned. He just wants his people. A big stiff cone around your neck? No big deal.

This week, we have to write a first chapter. Currently, I'm thinking of writing about parent group. Of course, my own story has to anchor it. I kept a journal but most of it's lost (too many computers ago and I was careful to really hide it.) Now, of course, I can't find it. I have a few pages. I also have some of the weekly parent group forms from 2000 and 2001. Just reading the few pages brings all that confusion and chaos back. This first chapter is the hardest assignment!

No comments: