Sunday, January 16, 2011

Photoessay #1178 - Bellevue boxing




I have been pondering about the last year. It's almost been an entire year (well another month or so) since my mother passed and I lost my job. I've not been working at a paid job (except Husky football games) since.

So what have I been doing?

Spending time with my granddaughter - letterboxing and other fun things. This really is a high priority for me. You just don't get to have a granddaughter forever. And it's not a slog like having your own kids. I am able to pick her up and just play and mess around and have fun. I am so lucky I can do this! I want my grandchildren to have fond memories of doing things with their grandparents. I know this one did not start out in a conventional manner but she's still my granddaughter

Reading and writing - I still want to up my reading time. I'm taking an intensive year long writing class at the UW. I am a member of another writing group (GAB which meets every two weeks) and I write this daily blog

Community donations - I've even upped my involvement with parent group. It really helps others and I also like it

Wellness - Well, of course, I have to lose 40 pounds. But I am fortunate to have the time, money and insurance for weekly alternative medicine visits (cranial-sacral therapy) that keeps me walking, talking and hanging around.

Those are the main things.

On short notice, I decided to go letterboxing with Melina. We went last weekend and I just didn't have a good collection of boxes lined up and we only found 1 out of 4 those we did have pumpkin ice cream at Theno's dairy. Dennis decided to go to work and it wasn't raining too hard so I called up Melina and she was game. I decided to go south into Bellevue for boxes and I had some good candidates. We found 4 out of 5 before grandma ran out of steam. With Teddy of course. We found a box at the Crossroads Community Center near the shopping center, by the duck pond at Robinswood Park and 2 out of 3 barbie-themed boxes at Wildwood Park. It did involve a lot of leaves and stumps.

Wildwoon Park is in 'Old Bellevue' which I didn't even know existed (that's why you go letterboxing, you find the craziest places HIPS Hidden in Plain Sight). It's definitely a rich person venue. I had promised a treat after those last boxes and we find a place called Belle Pastry which featured the most delicious pastries. Really fancy stuff. Gorgeous. Plus they've posted them on the internet. I had the Trio and Melina had the Fruit Tart. Really the good stuff.

Beside the pastry, picture of Melina getting her stuff out to process the box we found in Robinswood Park. As Melina says with a smile, letterboxing usually involves mud!

No comments: