Monday, January 10, 2011

Photoessay #1172 - And back to Rockford


Awhile back I posted a shot of my brother, sister, niece and I with our hands out of the car sunroof as we went over a bridge and titled it "Fun in Rockford"

Same group, maybe even same time. We were looking for a way to get out of the house. Visiting my mom. Teresa really wanted to go with us.

So we went letterboxing. Looking for a 'peace memorial' on this main street with lots of flags. So there's this big chunk of land on the right street near the municipal buildings of a community called Love's Park. Lots of memorials and flags, must be the right place. So it's chilly but we're out there anyway. We look and look and look. But we just can't seem to find it, nothing looks right. That's when it slowly dawns on you that maybe we are in the wrong place altogether.

Then somebody comes up with a news flash. We're looking for a PEACE memorial. And these are all WAR memorials......OOOOOOHHHHH!. Plus the cross streets are wrong. So we left and went down the streets some more and, actually, can you believe it, in Rockford, find this Peace Memorial. no lie.

But before we left, we got a little silly and I snapped this shot of my sister, brother and niece, joking around one of the memorials. Proof positive that you can have fun at the war memorials in a midwest town on a cold day.

My friend complimented me that I make everything into a community. And I would like to make this blog into a community. It happens. But it's hard to make a community when it's all about me. Me is fine and all but it doesn't build community. Any ideas?

No comments: