Thursday, January 6, 2011

Photoessay #1168 - Tidepools




First I want to report that Teddy (dog) seems to be much better today. Last night, he wouldn't eat his dinner and hardly would leave his crate. Today, he's eating and he's returned to his normal self though he's taking a mom-declared day off from the dog park.

Today I will include some pictures from the tidepools on the Big Island north of Kailua-Kona. What strikes me is that they are not that much different from pictures I might take locally at Puget Sound. You don't have the waves but you have rocky beaches and tidepools with things living in them.

These pictures taken just minutes before my camera bit the dust. The combo of crashing wave and being bashed against the lava. That camera had a long life (really just 3 years) and taken thousands of pictures for me.

First shot is Charlie looking at the tidepools while the waves crash dramatically at his feet (which, um, played a part in the multiple camera destructions). He maveled that a lot of these tidepools really looked like the tropical fish aquariums he has kept over the years. He worked hard to capture this.

The next picture is a closeup. You are looking through several inches of seawater here. It's so clear! The more you look at this picture, the more you see. When I started working on it, I thought it was a decent shot of an anemone and some interesting color and textures. But there are at least 6 anemones and two tropical fish. And maybe some kind of seaslug in the upper right?

The last shot shows the crashing surf, lava rock and tidepools. I just like how it all fit together. Plus you have motion and a place for the eye to proceed.

I like Hawii as a tourist. I would go back!!!

No comments: