Thursday, August 26, 2010

Photoessay #1036 - Kit Carson


Yes i missed a day. Here we are in California, mostly visiting people who use computers themselves and our connectivity has been terrible! Now we are in Santa Cruz in old fashioned kinda fancy bed and breakfast and I have enough connection to at least file my unemployment claim.

Yesterday we went up to Silver Lake in the high sierras. We both remembered it differently but it could have been time of day or year. We stayed at Kit Carson Lodge which I recommend heartily. If I didn't have the commitment to this place, I would have stayed an extra day. Quite high 7300 ft altitude. They have numerous cabins and 5 hotel rooms (that's where we stayed). Wonderful balcony with two chaises overlooking the lake. So restful, sign me up! Little path down to the beach, nice waiting. 100 degrees plus in the valley, tremendously comfortable up there in the mountains. All you have to do is show up at the gourmet restaurant just a few steps away at the appointed time. That's my kind of camping. After supper, they had a special program at the fire pit right in front of the restaurant...yes we had a campfire along with roaster marshmallows. A local author reading from her historical novels of the area. I LOVED it, an admission, I've always been a fan of California history and, alas, Washington history is SO boring. California history is full of scoundrels and massively ambitous schemes. That sometime work.

Naida Ward, the author, speculated...not well known that the Mission Indians rose up in armed revolt. Nearly successfully, with a chilling effect on the California Missions. As a result, the Mexican officials were not eager to enter the Central Valley, too dangerous. So they did not find the billions worth of dollars of gold in the foothills. The Americans did. What if it had been the other way around? The whole southwestern part of the country including California would have been part of Greater Mexico. The schoolbooks present as if California history started with 1849 Gold Rush. Not so.

Which brings me to a confession. I really am a California girl. I really would like to live in California where all kinds of crazy things have and will continue to happen. A land of scoundrels and fabulous visions. I like the Puget Sound area all right; have lived there for 31 years. But my heart still belongs to the Golden State.

Shot of our room at the Kit Carson Lodge. Imagine us in real comfy chaise lounge chairs on that deck looking out onto the beautiful lake. It was even better than that.

No comments: